Godly friendships


Are you a Godly friend? What are Godly friendships?

I grew up having many “friends”, but I’ve grown to realize that they are not necessarily GODLY friends.  There are 3 people that I call my “best friends”, and even though they aren’t all Christians, I can say that they are my truest friends. We’ve been friends since we were in junior high and still talk to this very day. Gradually, as I went to university and started working, I became shy and it was hard to make new friends.  I didn’t have people around me that I could call upon for help.  But God had a plan for me.  He wanted me to learn to have Godly friendships.  I am so thankful that He led me to the Calvary Chapel Women’s Retreat in Murrietta Hot Springs earlier this year.
During the retreat I met these wonderful young ladies who helped open my heart to more of God.  We talked about getting together after the retreat ended and I can honestly say that I had my doubts.  I remember when I was in school my “friends” and I talked about hanging out but it never happened.  And then I ended up hurt because that was not what friends do.  So it was only natural for me to have these negative thoughts about my new “friends”.  But this time I was proven so very wrong.  My new friends initiated a get together the following week!  I was so thrilled and excited and told my husband, “They really are different!”.
As someone who is new in their walk with Christ, I learned a few valuable lessons on Godly Friendships at the retreat:
A Godly friend cries when you cry, they support you when you are weak, they fellowship with you, they lend a hand whenever you need that extra help and they draw you closer to Jesus.
Most importantly, they remind you of how important it is to have God in your life and to turn to Him first before others. They constantly share with you the good things God has done in their own lives and encourage you to seek Him and to rely on Him.


Are you a Godly Friend? What qualities do you look for in a Godly friend?

Comments

Popular Posts