Cloth Diapering

I wanted to talk to you today about Cloth Diapering! I'm sure you're a little surprised I cloth diaper. Well I decided to dive into the world of cloth diapering when we were thinking of how to utilize our smaller budget wisely. At first I thought they would be a nightmare to use so I prepared my heart for what was to come. I pictured poops exploding everywhere when they were sleeping, I would need to hand wash them to get stains out and so many more nightmares!

I started researching cloth diapering and boy was I surprised, please check out these videos on Youtube, they really helped me learn about cloth diapering:

ObbsAndLala - Kayla who is so informational
Kdhoney1 - Great diaper reviews and blog

There are so many different types of cloth diapers out there now that there are communities of cloth diapering moms and parents who love cloth diapering. I tell you it's not like the pieces of cloth you pin to your baby anymore, some are sheets of fabric with an additional waterproof cover you put outside of it to keep it from leaking, some are regular disposable "looking" diapers but made out of cloth!

I decided to order the most economical choice I could find from Amazon with gift cards my friend had given us to lower our out of pocket even more just to try them out. I think in the end I spent about $60. I got two packs of each size (one for toddler, one for baby) of unbleached 100% cotton prefolds and two waterproof covers, one for my toddler and one for my new born. I planned to use these as long as they would last, hopefully till the next baby or whenever!

I made a video on them when I received them here so you can get a better look at them.

From the month and a half of using cloth diapers I really like them. They aren't as horrible as I pictured them, although I did have to deal with some baaaad messes here and there... But yes, I still like them. They are better for the environment and way easier on your wallet. Here are pictures of my two boys in their matching diapers: Immanuel my 2 year old and then Israel my 2 month old.



Honestly, what we have right now can easily last us more than a year. It's when big explosions happen and it leaks on the cover that's the problem, I only have one for each kid, I would need to put the soiled one in the wash, hope my toddler goes potty in the potty and constantly change my newborn because there is no outer waterproof cover to keep everything from getting wet. Because of that I do need to get a couple extra diaper covers for accidents like those.

I am learning so much more about cloth diapers and will definitely post more as I discover more about them! I'm looking into purchasing some all in ones which are the "cloth disposables" which you don't throw away but they look and function exactly the way you would a disposable.

I will educate you all on cloth diapering more for those who are interested because it really is a better system and should really be tried in all families. I hope you all are having a wonderful week and please comment and let me know what you think!


Comments

Popular Posts